September was a busy month. We spent a large portion of the month building our classroom community and learning our new routines and procedures.
One system we focused on learning was called the Daily 5. The Daily 5 provides students with choices of reading, writing or word work activities that they can do independently. This allows me to work with students in small groups, so that I can support their individual needs. The students fell in love with Daily 5 and loved the independence and choice they had.
The choices student can choose from include:
- Read to Self – Students read books independently from their book box.
- Work on Writing – Students work on writing pieces of their choice.
- Read to Someone – Students read to partner and check with each other about what they heard.
- Work on Words – Students use materials to practice spelling and phonic rules.
- Listen to Reading – Students use tape players or ipods to listen to stories.
- Checkout New Books – Students change or select new books for their book box.
- Work on the Computer – Students go onto my classroom website and play games to support their reading and writing.
I have posted many pictures on the pictures tab for you to view the students’ choices. If you click the picture below, it will take you to the many others.
I also wanted share a video the students fell in love with. The students learned to pick books that fit their needs, interests, and readability. We used this video titled the I-Pick Rap. The video helped students make sense of this concept. I hope you enjoy the video. It’s a great video to watch with your son or daughter!
Lastly, I wanted to share with you the classroom newsletter for September. It has all the news and pictures from September along with important dates for the upcoming month!
If you click the link below it will take you to the classroom newsletter section!
Hope you enjoy all of the updates!